Greeting Fellow Squash Players,
You are receiving this email because you were a member of last year’s squash league. If you would like to be removed from this list simply reply to this email and let me know.
Sadly, the summer is almost over. Luckily we have the saving grace of another squash league season quickly approaching to help wipe away the end of summer blues. This is the official registration call for players who want to take part in the league this year. Please note, the league name has changed. What was previously known as the “Garrison-Black Knight League”, then as the “Metro Squash League” will now simply be referred to as the “Halifax Squash League”.
The Halifax Squash League will be open to players aged 12 and up. All league members must have a current Squash Nova Scotia (SNS) membership. Memberships can be purchased through the SNS website (http://www.squashns.ca/). Members of the Dalhousie Squash Club will have their SNS membership fees combined with the club fee. If you would like to register then please contact one of the club organizers listed below before Friday September 14th. The start date for the league is Wednesday October 3rd.
Please provide the club organizer with the following information:
• Full name
• Email address
• Preferred playing division (if known). If unknown, please provide the club organizer with a brief description of your playing history.
• Second choice of playing division (if appropriate).
• Indicate whether you prefer a full-time or shared position (no guarantees).
• Let them know if you are interested in being considered for a team captain position (Dalplex and Tower teams only).
• Let them know if there is another player that you must play on the same team with (e.g., family member).
Please note: If you decide to play at a higher division in the league than your current Squash Nova Scotia (SNS) Ranking, you must register for all subsequent SNS-sanctioned tournaments at the same level (or higher). This rule will be strictly enforced by SNS.
The Stadplex (Combined CFB Stadacona and Shearwater team)
Dan Sicard: (
) or Brian Reid (
The Tower (Saint Mary’s University Athletic Facility, current SMUfit membership required)
Tim Roberts or Jenn Cantwell (
The Dalplex (Dalhousie University Athletic Complex; current Dalplex and Dalhousie Squash Club memberships required)
David Westwood (
We are also trying to start a new club team that plays on the courts located at Dalhousie University’s Sexton Campus downtown (formerly the Technical University of Nova Scotia, TUNS). If you are interested in playing for this club then please email the league convenor directly (Derek Kimmerly,
For returning players, there are a number of significant rule and organizational changes that will be implemented for the upcoming season. These changes are detailed below.
Highlight of Changes to the Halifax Squash League for the 2012-13 Season:
• The number and specific designation of the player divisions will not be finalized until after the player registration date (Sept. 14th) for the season and will be based on the number of players registered at each division. However, it is anticipated that we will have a similar team structure to last year [i.e., lower women’s division (WD/C-), higher women’s division (WC+/B), Men’s D, Men’s C-, Men’s C+, Men’s B).
• Women’s A players are also eligible to play at Men’s C- (or higher) and Women’s B players are eligible to play at Men’s D (or higher).
• There will be a cap on the number of shared positions available per team. The cap and the divisions available for a shared position will be based on the number of players registered at each division.
• League matches will only be played on Wednesday nights. No rescheduling of matches will be permitted. Therefore, an eligible substitute player must be found or another team member will have to “play-up” a division that night.
• Players that begin the year on the substitute list will remain on the substitute list for the entire season. No substitute players will be added as regular members of a league team. As such, there will no longer be a maximum number of matches that a substitute can play for any given team during the season.
• During the regular season, a team can use no more than 3 substitute players for any given night. For the playoffs, this will decrease to a maximum of 2 substitute players per night.
• Separate drafts will be employed for the creation of Tower and Dalplex teams. The club organizers will designate the team captains and each captain will choose their own team based on the available players who registered for their club. Dependent upon the number of registered players, a minimum number of positions for new and returning players will be allotted per team.
• We will be encouraging teams to get more of their players involved with the refereeing of matches. This will begin by holding a referee clinic at the start of the season. We will also be encouraging less experienced players to “shadow” more experienced players while they referee matches. On the weekly scoring sheet there will be additional columns for the captains to list who refereed and who shadow refereed. There will a prize for the team that best utilized their players to referee matches throughout the season.
• Both captains will be responsible for submitting scores each week, including the names of players who refereed matches.
• During the regular season it will be possible for teams to be tied on points for a given night. However, for the playoffs, if there is a tie after all six matches have been played there will be a random draw to determine the division that will play a one game tie breaker.
If you have any questions regarding the Halifax Squash league then please feel free to contact me at
Hope to see you all on the courts soon.
Coordinator, Halifax Squash League
Last Updated on Tuesday, 21 August 2012 19:29